Blog Archive

What is Social Media?

What is Social Media? Blogs, Twitter, Facebook, and Text Messaging are all Examples of Social Media. Did you know that over 40% of Emails are Deleted Daily but 96% of Text Messages are Read? Let's talk about how you are reaching out to your customers. Email me at Melisa.Canizales@Gmail.com.
Search & Win
Search & Win
Powered by Blogger.

Friday, November 5, 2010

Saving at Home...

I have been reading up on meal planning a lot lately...for 2 reasons: 1) I am working outside my home and having dinner ready to go during the week is a HUGE helper and 2) we are always looking for a new places to save and this seems to be working.  In my house casserolles are huge so here are a few of our dinners this week.  Add a salad and or side dish to any casserolle for a fairly well rounded meal! 

All of these meals are at or under $5.00 per person.  All can be premade on a Sunday (or earlier) and thrown in the refrigerator or freezer and forgotten about until dinner. I also tend to buy 96-97% lean meat and organic veggies when possible. You can also save a few pennies by growing your own veggies or opting for a higher fat content on meat.



Sunday: Tuna Casserolle - I buy Kraft Shells and Cheese at Costco and for my familiy of 6 we use 3 packages.  Make as normal ..add 3 cans of tuna and 2 cans of cream of chicken soup and 1 to 2 cans of greens peas (we have also found broccolli is a great add).  Mix together in a casserolle dish and cover with a light layer of cheese.  (I have priced shredded cheese at all of the grocery stores and unless you find a sale the price of shredded cheese at costco is the BEST.)  Drop into the oven at 350 until cheese melts and wa-la!  You can also use boxed mac and cheese from the grocery store to bring the price down.  This feeds my 6 for under $20.00..

Monday- Spaghetti Casserolle - Another family favorite!  Use 1 pound ground beef..brown beef.  I use McCormicks pre-mixed Italian Seasoning while I am browning.  Add 1 jar of your favorite Spaghetti Sauce.  I am a Newman's Own Soccarooni fan but any will work or make your own,  Set aside sauce.  Boil 1 Box This Spaghetti Noodles.  Once noodles are ready, pour into a casserolle dish.  Mix 2 8oz Cream cheese (presoftened) with 1 small container sour cream.  Add to noodles in Casserolle dish..mix thoroughly.   Add Sauce that is already made to the top.  Cover with light layer of shredded cheese.  Super Yummy!  Again, if you make your own sauce you may save a few pennies however I opt for a time saver on this one.  Add a salad and this is a great meal.

Tuesday- Taco Casserolle -  I have to admit that I found this recipe on the back of my bisquick box..and all of the kids love it!  Go here to get the recipe!

Wednesday: Leftovers!  The great thing about casserolles is that there are usually leftovers..even with my big family!

Thursday: Chilli Spaghetti..This was on request from my teenager..1 Small box of Mild Velveeta Cheese Cubed, 1 Box Spaghetti Noodles...prepare per directions on box.  2 Cans of your favorite store chilli.  I typically buy the store brand for this recipe.  Once noodles are cooked and drained, throw them back in a pot..add cubed velveeta cheese..mix well..add both cans of chilli..continue mixing well over low heat until all cheese is melted and chilli is mixed together.  As with my previous recipes you can make the chilli in advance and freeze it but the 2 cans I purchased were $1.70 ea..when time is of the essence this is $3.40 I have to spend!

Friday - Loaded Baked Potatoes and Tomato Basil Soup.  Soup is pre-made organic tomato basil soup from Trader Joes.  If you dont have a trader joe's near by try the Tomato Basil soup in a jar from HEB.  You can find it in your local HEB at the chef's corner.

Saturday: Meatball Subs for Dinner - Get the Meatball Recipe Here!  Super Easy and Inexpensive!
Use your favorite hotdog buns for an easy and inexpensive meatball sub dinner!

Breakfast and Snacks!
I also cook Pancakes and muffins on the weekend.  The pancakes can be thrown in the freezer for breakfast during the week  I use Martha White Muffin mix for the muffins.  I know that you can make your own however I will make 3-4 varieties and throw them all in a container on the cabinet for the week.  They are great for breakfast alternatives or snacks.  You can usually find the muffin mix on sale for $.99 a package..quick and easy!

Finally, cut up a couple of cucumbers on a plate and have them ready for a quick and easy snack.

Do you have any good $5.00 recipes?  Please feel free to share!

No comments:

Post a Comment